Monday 4 March 2013

TNA Stars On The Rise: Joey Ryan




Joseph "Joey" Ryan Meehan is a well traveled professional wrestler mostly known for his time on the independent circuit and as one of the five founders of Pro Wrestling Guerrilla where he was a former PWG World Champion. He is also a former NWA Tag Team champion with Karl Anderson.

I have been a fan of Joey Ryan since first seeing him in Ring of Honor and will not deny that when I found out he was joining TNA I marked out a little. While talented in the ring, Joey's stand out ability to me is his mic skills. Whether he is channeling Andy Kaufman and challenging female wrestlers or having the sleaziest wrestling entrance ever (Complete with Escape/The Pina Colada Song theme music), he really knows how to get a reaction from the fans.

However his time in TNA has been slightly underwhelming. His Gut Check feud with Taz/Al Snow was too drawn out and did not receive enough airtime. Although it did a great job at blurring the lines and had us wondering whether it was a work or not, the fact it was only baffles me more at the lack of promotion for the feud. 

Now that he has tagged up with Matt Morgan he really does feel stuck in limbo. It truly is a tag team that benefits neither member. I feel the best route to take Joey just now is to make him TV Champion (Which is being wasted on Devon) and have him establish the mid-card and add some value to the belt. I believe a possible feud with RVD, well known for his time as ECW TV Champion would help get Joey Ryan over. 

While I hope the future is bright for Joey Ryan, the way TNA has currently booked him leaves me slightly worried. However, he is only 33 years old and still has plenty of time to make an impact in TNA.

No comments: